Thursday, September 6, 2007

Anger Manage-Meant

I give myself permission to be different from my parents. I give myself the right to define myself by MY-self. To determine who I am NOT connected to them. I am me. I am a different person & I am different from them. I am different from my family. I began to know this at a young age, but it wasn't something I could really allow myself to feel. It was too dangerous of a thought. We can get this idea of individuation on any number of levels & I certainly have understood this in many ways. I moved thousands of miles away from home. This took a lot of permission, but I realize now what I needed to have that permission was anger! Anger was & always has been a great motivator for me. It's given me strength & courage & tenacity to take risks & to do things that I was afraid/didn't have the energy, courage... to do.
Can I be myself & not need to be angry to live? Can I function without anger as a chief motivator? Doesn't anger take a lot of energy? Doesn't a person get awful tired by staying angry in order to get through a project or an event or a life? Aren't there some other options? Can I not like my parents & yet let my anger at them go? Can I notice that they are different from me & I from them & understand that has to be the way it is? These and more musings to follow...

No comments: